How to Apply
Before You Get Started
- Eligibility: Review the eligibility checklist below, and make sure you can say “yes” to these statements:
- Your project is led by a passionate and committed Indigenous youth who lives in Ontario.
- Your project is supported by at least one mentor in the community that the project is serving, or is open to having a mentor.
- Your project will contribute to a healthy community, having meaningful benefits to people and the environment.
- Your project will benefit a community in Ontario.
- You have identified the resources needed to successfully complete the project including financial and other types of support.
- You are looking for funds of no more than $5,000. *If you can make a strong case for extra funds beyond the 5K - the review team and youth advisors will take it into consideration
- You are open to participating in the OIYPP annual gathering to learn from and with other youth leading projects, supporters and mentors.
- Contact us if you have questions about your eligibility.
- Charitable home: This means that you have an organization such as friendship centre or partnering organization that has a registered charity number or qualified donee status that will receive your grant on your behalf. If you don't have one, don't let it stop you! We are here to help and will do everything we can to find one. If you have any questions or need help - reach out! We are here for you!
- Research: Talk to your community and make sure your project addresses an issue that is important to you and your community.
- Application material: Get familiar with the application form, read the application guidelines, and check out our FAQs. Contact us if you have any questions.
- Vision: Take time to get your ideas together, and think about what change you want to make with your project.
- Clarify: Organize your project ideas and goals so they are specific, meaningful, attainable, realistic and time-bound (SMART goals).
- Connect: Discuss the project with your mentor and/or community. Contact us if you need further support or resources.
Completing the Application
- Share: Tell your story. Describe your community, the project, and what you would like to do. Use clear and brief language, digital media and your imagination.
- Respond: Read the questions carefully and review your material. Don't leave anything blank!
- Review: Have a friend or mentor proofread your application. It should take under 10 minutes to read/review in total. Use the timeframes indicated at the top of each part of the application as a guide.
- Do it again: Take a final look at your completed application package. Pause. Breathe, and take another look.
- Deliver: Submit the application via our online form or download and fill out and send via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org